Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Xbox One (X1)

        Xbox 1(or One) is live and I get asked if I was  excited about the reveal of Microsoft's new system. Easy answer, NO! I'm going to tell you why. As a person who used to eat and sleep Microsoft, I think this years next gen system will be not in my gaming rig. From Windows 95 on up, I was there with Microsoft. When Windows 8 hit, I bought a real copy of that and I still don't really care for it. I bought a Surface RT tablet and it was good (sort of, just lacking major support) and I even had a Windows phone (Nokia Lumia 920) (excellent by the way) and Xbox 360 w/Kinect.

     I was not excited one way or the other about the reveal, but after the reveal happened, I kind of felt like......that was it?! First off, the design is horrible. It looks like an old Betamax player. I should know because my grandfather still has one. I don't like the block style of the console but it is what it is. As for the controller, I think I like the controller but there is something about it that just does not grab me and make me want it. However, the controller doesn't look cool and I suspect that it probably feels cool but again it's just something about it.

     I remember I have the original Xbox and I just thought it was so cool that they had a hard drive in it and it stored movies and music and all this other stuff on it. Of course it was a big block system and it was heavy but it made me want it. It has something the ps2 was missing. when halo came out it was the greatest thing going for me and my friends countless hours of four players deathmatch and the all-time favorite Slayer. The controller was ugly but they came out later with the smaller controller and that was cool. Then they came out with the 360. Avatars, Xbox Live, apps, in all this great entertaining power all rolled up in a nice little package, made me want a 360.

     So as I start to talk about the Xbox 1, I look at the system and the specs and I start to realize that I don't really want this system. I honestly think I could care less about the system. When the Kinect came out, I wanted it. Then after having it for a few months I realize that I didn't really need it or nor did I care about it. I finally  unplugging it form my system and sold it. And now the new one is mandatory. I don't like that at all.  it seems like what Microsoft is selling me now is things that I don't actually care about. I don't care about connecting with my TV, I don't care so much for call of duty, I love sports, but not enough to hook my TV to my xbox and go through that way. I am fine with using my TV and my remote as is.

     And that's the thing with the new Xbox in general, it's giving me features that I could care less about or having features that make me want to go out and get it. I got it and I understand that its next gen but you're not going to sell me on buying a next gen call of duty when the same game will be on the 360. I'm not going to pay more money for better graphics, TV, sports and Call of Duty, when the system that is out now is perfectly fine.

     I also understand that E3 is right around the corner and that hopefully they will talk about games, games, games. The hopefully, they Wow me enough to want it. As of right now, I am not feeling this system. I had a Surface Rt, not a Surface Pro, but a Surface RT and I was feeling that, but not this. Strange I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment