Thursday, October 3, 2013

NBA 2K14

On Monday night I was able to download the greatest basketball sim to grace any systems console. That is right, NBA 2K14 was installing and I just couldn't wait to play it. Did it live up to expectations? This is NBA 2k14.

Let me just say that, the game looks the exact same! That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you want to look at it. I thought 2k13 looked good but its like it didn't look as good as 2k12. But My eyes got used to looking at 2k13 and so it became the standard. So when 2K14 comes along, I thought it may look at least a little different, but as soon as I seen it, I just kind of shook my head. But so far that is the only (real big bad) bad that I have against the game....so far. There are other small gripes and complaints but for the most part, its the way it looks. There is one thing to keep in mind, this game will also be on PS4 and Xbox 1, so you can take the way it looks as maybe they will make the next gen consoles versions look bad ass instead of porting over this version. 

With that out of the way, now on to the good. The game may look the same, but it sure doesn't play the same. A lot of the animations are smooth (maybe to smooth) and that is such a good thing. I play the my player part a lot or as its called my career. Last years game used to piss me off so bad with the animations making me suck in to another player on rebounds or free throw attempts. I hated it. This year so far I can see that there is no suction. The thing that I did notice is that everyone plays excellent defence, even if the other player sucks at defence. You can take that for what it worth but I will save you the trouble and let you know that it was sarcasm. I guess where one thing is worked on, other things lack. But it is still not a killer for the game. So far out of the modes that I have played, exhibition and my career, I like it. I don't love it, but I do like it and I see myself going beyond the basketball season again playing 2K14 (I played 2K13 until GTA V came out). The game itself is not a big download, just in case you want to download it. Its about 8874 MB or as it said 8.7 GB. 

So when you first play the game, first thing you should do is, forget that you know how to play 2K13. Seriously, they changed the button layout for most things and it was a little weird getting used to, but by the 2nd quarter I was good to go. The right analog stick is now the cross over stick and the shooting stick. You could use it as that last year by holding the L2 trigger, but now if you hold that and hit the right stick, you throw a flashy pass or the Steve Nash/ Ricky Rubio passes. Hold the right stick in any direction makes you shoot. Holding down R2 and holding right analog up makes you dunk, R2 and right analog right makes you do a James Harden like layup, while down is a floater and left is a swing layup. It takes some getting used to if you use analogs to play, but you can still shoot with square and pass with X. Posting up is still the same, but its like posting up now actually works and the game lets you try to workout. Circle now is used to call for picks. You must notice that pick and roll is now the second option whereas last year it was the third option as you held it down. Dunk animations are just about the same, but with a few new dunks sprinkled in and now some of them look a lot more vicious. The blocking is a lot more beautiful. The arm actually swings as you try to block it. I had one of my shots chased down and blocked from behind in my game and it looked so great. All in all the game play is so much better than last year and that is such a plus. 

The soundtrack is much better. No dis to Jay-Z and his choices for last years game, but that soundtrack sucked to me. At least this year it is more diverse (well not really but its still better than last years). On of the things that I did like was that they added new shoes to the mix. Peak has been added in and I think another one. The shoe selection is a little small compared to last year but with updates I know they will fill out like last years shoe roster did. The one think I don't like about 2K, and this goes for 2K13 and 14, they skipped out on the details, the little details. I am a person that likes all the small things in a game rather the big things. Case in point is the shoes. For making the shoes, all this did was flip the design on the opposite foot. So instead of a Nike sign going the right way on the tongue of the shoe or the heel, it goes in the opposite direction and it looks odd. The crowd still looks terrible. People on the sideline still have cut throats. There are a few other little things that I don't like but to me its all in the details. 

The draft part of the game is hilarious. Why? Because they added audio from the actual draft. It seems like it would be sweet and when I first heard them call Anthony Bennett for the Cavs, I said hey that's how he sounded during the draft and then I heard the disbelief in the crowd and I just said to myself, that's cool, they added audio from the draft. However, my appreciation for that small detail was short lived and it seems later in the draft, they got lazy and the editing was terrible. Then it just kind of threw that all out the window. There is new dialogue for the my career mode and it seems like now your player says what you actually want them to say. I told the GM during an interview after the rookie game that I did not want to play SG. Because of that, I didn't get picked by that team and that kind of sucked cause I wanted to play for them but not at SG. The draft is still stupid. I got picked 11th to the 76ers where someone else got picked, but when the season started there he and I was, same draft number and everything. The little things. 

The game itself again overall is good though. I will play this just about everyday and I haven't gone online yet, but I am sure the servers stick like always with 2K basketball games. On a side note, it is almost time for me to retire getting games for the PS3. I know I said it before, but GTA V was to awesome to pass up and I am really considering getting this Beyond 2 Souls. I have a demo for that game (which I will delete tonight) and I have to say if you like Last of Us or Heavy Rain, this game will blow you away. The demo is really awesome and that might be my last game for the PS3 and because I am running out of room.
I have a lot of games on my PS3 and only one of them is a demo which is Beyond 2 Souls
So if you are interested download the demo and the game comes out next week on the 8th of October. As for NBA 2K14, I don't know if my game scales up to be apart of that promotion when you you get a PS4, but if I have to buy it again at full retail price, then I will. NBA 2K13 I bought twice for the PS3, once for the Xbox 360 and once for the Wii U. So buying this an extra time is not really a big deal, but if I can upgrade it to the PS4 for $10 like you can Assassin's Creed 4 or Battlefield 4 then I am really all over it. But NBA 2K14 is a great buy if your a basketball fan, and I think I would rate it a 8.5 out of 10. 

twitter.com/titostech
rapter.com/titostech
PSN:The_D_O_P_E_69
XBL:Shawn Starr
cricle me on google+


No comments:

Post a Comment